The Journey of Being a Businesswoman with Lakisha Harper-Bradley

Mother ☆ Motivational Artist ☆ Entrepreneur ☆ Community Advocate 
                                ☆ Learning and Growing Through Life
How do you achieve work-life balance?
When I was working in corporate, work-life balance was a huge challenge for me. I was so focused on being the best at my job and going above and beyond that I discovered that I wasn’t being my best at home. There were times when I could recall going into work in darkness and leaving in darkness. I was working hard, but not really working smart. When I made the transition into becoming an entrepreneur,work-life balance was a number one priority for me.

Today, I try to start each day with intent. I try to be intentional about what want to achieve for the day and also try to get as much done before 12:00 p.m. I want to ensure that when my kids and husband get home from school or work that my time is dedicated to them. Now, am I able to achieve this every day? No, but I do try to achieve this more often than not.


Can you tell us about any habits you have/things you do, to have a successful day?
My husband works overnight in addition to us having 3 businesses (Mobile Detail, Barber Shop, and Creative Arts Service) In addition, I work closely with my sister who also took the leap and found the non-profit organization Lighthouse Solutions.

Hey, it’s a family affair. 

Yes, it seems like a lot, but we are trying to build this foundation for our next generation. The plan that God has for us is much bigger than us so we have to put in the work. Since I have to get up early in the morning to get the kids ready for school and that’s something that I’m used too anyway, I try to leverage that time effectively. Once the kids are off on the bus, I’m getting my day started.

#1 Spiritual Alignment... I start with meditation and exercise. I use this time to be one with God. This is my growth and development moment.
#2 Business Management ...I have a project board in my kitchen. (One day I will have it in my office) I identify my objectives for the day and focus on how to continue to grow each of our businesses to the next level.
#3 Keep It Simple… Focus on quality not quantity. I try to make obtainable goals each day that I can achieve. There may be times that I may miss a goal, but it’s okay. I just move it to the next day just as long I get it done in an appropriate time and it is not affecting any of our customers.


How did you get where you are today, and who/what helped you along the way?
Please know that by no means would I consider myself perfect or super organized. I am a work in progress. I have to surround myself with mentors and good people who help keep me on the right path and hold me accountable.
What have you learned about leadership, entrepreneurship and mentoring others?
I learned that it all is a process and it takes work. At the end of the day, leadership starts with being a servant first. It’s having knowledge, wisdom and understanding as you go through process in order to pass it along to others.

How has starting your business and living your purpose balanced out to where you are now?
I have grown so much since this journey. Back in September, I did a little reflection because it had been a year since me taking the leap. Here’s what I shared with others on what I have gained.

1. Trust God - He has your back
2. Make time for family and loved ones
3. Self-employed is hard work & rewarding
4. Don't just Go but GROW in the moment
5. Know your happy place
6. I AM the CHAMPION of my sound! ❤


What do you find most helpful about a using social media in terms of marketing your business and growing it?
Social media helps tell the story. We utilize it as a platform to help build trust with our customers to showcase our quality work, but also allow them to share transparently their experience of our services provided.

What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
We are able to build a foundation that my children’s children will be able to stand on.
What are you currently working on now?
Right now we are working to build a team and looking to expand into a building. In addition, with MY-T-BY-DESIGN “Imperfectly Painting with Purpose”continuing to grow, starting in January I will be attending John Brown University working on my Marriage & Family Counseling license in order to provide a higher level of service to my clients through private one on one art therapy sessions.

What pearls of wisdom can you give other women that are looking to reach their potential?
When you hear those whispers saying it’s time for a change or to do something that is out of the ordinary that is your inner soul speaking to you. Even though it may be scary and uncomfortable in the moment, just trust and believe the process because what is unordinary will soon manifest itself to be an extraordinary blessing bigger than you can image.

For more information, contact
Lakisha  Harper-Bradley
CEO/Founder, MY-T-BY-DESIGN “Imperfectly Painting with a Purpose”
Email: 23breakthrough@gmail.com