Q&A with Bran Smith| Balancing Family and Music


Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a 26 year old independent artist from Smackover, Arkansas. Clokkwork Clouds is the name of my movement. My artist name is Yung Bran. I’ve been making music for 3-4 years. I am a gentleman from a small place with big dreams.

What is the importance of the connections you make? How can you utilize them? 
Whether it’s through music, business, or just chance encounter, I try to take everyone serious. I’ll give you your time. I’m expecting the same in return. I may think I’m talking to a bum, but I could be talking to a millionaire in rags. If I just hear the man or woman out, they might give me the game. Every connection has its own story and if I can learn from it, I’ll be that sponge for a moment.

How do you get people to take you seriously as a musician?
The work outside of music I do. At this stage, I’m hands on with everything. You want to book me, you’re calling me. So when I show up, you’re seeing me. You’re looking me in my eyes and shaking my hand. I give everyone a chance and I’m expecting that same chance. So, you want me to respect you as this? Respect me as that. “Musician” is just a title. I’m a lot of things. Music is just one chapter in “The Book of Me”.

How important is image?
Image is everything. It’s how and why your audience sees you. Carry yourself one way, that’s how your audience will treat you. It’s especially important now because that’s how some artists are getting recognized. Dye your hair a crazy color and you’ll get a million views you know. I’m trying to learn how to paint with fewer strokes and produce a solid picture at the moment.

Who are your influences?
I have a lot of different influences across the spectrum because it’s so much I want to do and get into. I’ll just throw some names out there. My Parents ,The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan,Ice Cube, Pimp C, Jay Z, Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross , Sean P. Diddy Combs, Denzel Washington, Ryan Coogler and Chadwick Boseman 

Do you write your own songs?
(Discuss the songwriting process in detail.)
 I write all my own music. I honestly don’t have a process. I’ll start writing at the most random times. While I’m out at lunch, at the top of parking garages, walking down the street. It doesn’t matter. I take inspiration from everything. Just trying to wake up everyday and write about it.

How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
Push through. You’re up. If you stop, you’re defeating the purpose. Just gotta keep that adrenaline pumping.

How would you define the word “success”? 
When my point gets across and I start getting paid for it. Ummm, success. When I start making money in my sleep and my whole family is secure, that’s successful for me. That’s how I feel.

What advice would you give someone? 
Don’t stop, keep going. You could die tomorrow, so love every breath you’re given. Waking up everyday is a gift from The Most High. Use everyday to become a better you.

What's next? The grind never stops. I have a couple projects lined up. My merchandise is getting better and better. I’m working on a movie script with a business partner of mine. Also I am just trying to stay positive and productive. Clokkwork Clouds is my baby and I’m watching it grow!

https://twitter.com/Mr_YTE
https://www.instagram.com/yungcloudhopper/